Before 1978, it was common for builders and homeowners to use lead-based paint on walls, windows and sills, doors and frames, stairs, railings, banisters, porches and more. We’ve since discovered that if not taken care of properly, lead-based paint can pose serious health hazards.
There is a risk of lead poisoning, for instance, when the paint deteriorates (peeling, chipping, cracking, etc.) or is disturbed by home renovations, creating dust that contains lead. The dust can be breathed in and paint chips can be picked up and ingested by small children and/or pregnant women. Lead-based paint may also be dangerous when found on surfaces that children can chew or that get a lot of wear-and-tear.
Lead is sometimes found in drinking water when plumbing contains lead or lead solder.
Deteriorating lead-based paint needs immediate attention. Big East Environmental uses a non-destructive X-Ray Fluorescence Analyzer (XRF) to immediately identify lead in layers of paint. We also provide water testing and analysis since lead cannot be detected by taste or smell. Specifically, our services include: